CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, December 18, 2008

I'd Rather Be A Pessimist

A very dear friend is always telling me that I have to be more optimistic.  He says that I always see the glass half empty.  I was thinking about this recently and decided that I shall remain the pessimist until the day I die.  Why? You ask?  Because it is much more fun and satisfying to be a pessimist than an optimist.  These are some of the reasons why:


I always hope for the best, but expect the worst.  That way if even a little piece of whatever is happening goes right, I am always pleasantly surprised.

When I don't expect things to go my way and they do, it is one of the most gratifying experiences. Kind of like finding that $100 bill in your pocket from last winter. 

If I don't presume the best from people, it always makes me smile when I meet someone that is interesting, quirky or fun.  

If I don't anticipate simple courtesies from strangers, I am thrilled to have them happen (ie. someone holding the door for me or simply smiling when we pass).

I find that when I don't expect others to help me carry some of my burdens, this is when they always step up to the plate and let me unload.

I can still smile and be pleasant while being a pessimist.  Being a pessimist DOES NOT preclude a miserable persona and existance.

And Lastly . . .   WHEN MY GLASS IS HALF EMPTY, THERE IS ALWAYS SOMEONE THERE WILLING TO FILL IT! :)

So there you have it.  The joys of pessimism.  Try it . . . It's not so bad.

0 comments: